Thursday, February 3, 2011

mi rutina y caras conocidas

So the title of this entry and my routine and familiar faces. From reading the blog you know my routine well it is still the same. This is our fourth week of classes and so far so good! We had our first mid term and I got over a 100! YAY! While walking to school over these past few weeks I have noticed some familiar faces. For example, there is a man who is always riding his bike to work in his suit, a women and her daughter, who rolls her backpack, and at the crosswalk it is the same people passing out the newspaper every morning. It is weird because I kind of feel like I know them and I am sure they notice me because I stink out like a sore thumb. I beginning to feel more and more at home here in Sevilla.

Well our host mom and still in the hospital and she will hopefully come home this weekend! Since she has been there so long we went to see her yesterday after lunch. After asking Carmen her friend from across the hall and our temporary host mom how to get to the hospital I didn't quite understand what she was saying but I did catch the name of the hospital so I googled it and luckily it was easy to get to and only about a 7 or 8 min walk! Following lunch we headed out and tried to get flowers at the usual flower shop across the street but they were closed, luckily there was a mini flower shop outside the hospital. We picked the pretty ones and headed in. Now hospitals are difficult to navaigate anyway espccailly in a foreign language I am just thankful that the numbers are written the same in both spanish and english. Carmen had told us that Mama' was in room 515 so we figured it had to be the 5th floor. Unsure where to go inside we spotted the first elevator pressed the up button and waited. While waiting everyone was kind of staring at us funny, the doors finally opened and we got on but when we went to press the 5 button the only options were -2 -1 0 1 and 2. Awesome. So we immediately hopped off after looking at it, it looked more like an elevator for a parking garage or a serivce elevator. We headed down the center of the hospital to find a much more nice looking set of elevators in a marble lobby. I pressed the up button and we went in to find a lot more buttons! Now note that here what we call the first floor is what they call the 0 floor. So we live in on the 6th floor of our apartment building so when the elevator was broken we were climbing 7 flights of stairs! So we pressed the 5th floor, ride it up and then get off. Having the choice of left or right and half the rooms in each direction, we went right because that had the beginning of the low 500's. In each directions the rooms are divided again in half but left or right. The one we need is the right but the doors are chained because of construction. So we go back passed the evlevator and to the left and hopefully they will connect luckily the do! We find 500 and walk down to 515. The door is slightly open so I peak in but I only see a heavier women and she is not mama, there is an older spanish man standing outside and I ask if marie jose is in there, he motions for us to go in. We slowly enter and come to find out there are three beds and three patients and mama' in right in the middle! I exclaim MAMA' I have missed her so much! She was excited to see us because she didn't know we were coming! We both gave her a big hug and that double kiss cheek thing! We then sat down everyone looking at us, and we made her look real cool in front of all the other patients and their visitors! We sat and chatted for almost an hour and then decided to head out. Now but chatted I mean I understood pretty much everything but I talked like a spanish toddler so the chatting was mostly one sided, nevertheless it was a good learning experience.

When we got home we had about 45 min before we had to meet our friends to go to TGI Fridays! YES they have that here in the mall and it is AMERICAN food, I never thought I would miss nachos and hamburgers SO much! I met my friend Carol and we walked down to the hotel where they have their spanish internship to pick up Annmarie. By the time we got down there we still had about an hour to kill so we sat on a patio and had a glass of wine! I had a glass of white wine and it was absolutely delicious! First because it was the only glass of wine I had really had by itself since I have been here and second, it was just an amazing glass of white wine! Least to say I found my new favorite place. We then picked up Annmarie from work and all walked to catch the bus to the mall. It was about 7:30 by the time we got there and we have 30 mins of happy hour left, it is half price drinks from 5-8 Monday-Friday. Since it was 7:30 it was pretty much empty because dinner here isn't until between 9 and 10. We were seated by a hostess who was wearing an ugly sequined hat, which I can only assume was one of her pieces of flare. After being seated we were approached by a different waitress the second of the only two working there. She took our drink orders and we never saw her again. Now on the menu was a raspberry mojito that looked just perfect for me and it was still happy hour. 20 minutes go by and we had not been checked on we look for our waitress and she is on a break eating. So knowing that my happy hour time is limited I flag down sequined hat and ask if it is still happy hour she informs me that I only have two mins left so we all quickly order she puts it into the computer and comes back to take our food order. I also have to mention that the prices for American food are really expensive, the food is also more expensive in general because the tip is also included, which is fortunate for our waitress because her lack of attention to us really frustrated me. Anyway I got the nachos and they were AMAZING!!!!  I also tend to have bigger eyes than my stomach when I got out to eat so I also got desert! Which didn't go so well I got about a 3rd of the way through and surrender to my "pie in the sky". After TGI Fridays we walked around the mall a little bit and did just a little shopping. The mall is another story because it is one of the most confusing set-ups I have ever seen, and trust me there is not a mall in the Dallas metroplex where I don't have the floor plan memorized. Then we took the bus home laughing the whole way because my friends pointed out that you can see the marks my toes leave on my Toms shoes and we joked how you can basically see the mark that looks like my french pedicure! Least to say it was a very fun and successful night!

Tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday we will be in Granada on another class excursion. We depart 7 am our time since I have been I don't think I have woken up before 8 so I have no idea what Sevilla looks like at 7 am and I am not really looking forward to it! So lets pray I make it there on time because when they say 7 they mean 7 and the will leave you, they have done it before. For those of you in Dallas be careful I hear the weather is bad. My mom, lucky duck, is enjoying her third snow day today. For those of you in Lubbock it is the 3rd day of late entry! For everyone else I hope it is all going well and you all don't have any bad weather! I will update after Granada and I am sure I will upload plenty of pictures!!!

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! and I am really starting to miss you guys!

besos (kisses) y con todo mi amor (with all my love)

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment