Monday, March 21, 2011

Madrid Con Mi Madre

Hola!

Well the past week has been really and this update is going to be a long one so prepare yourself now.

Saturday March 12
So my mom arrived last Saturday, which is a story in itself. She left Friday and would arrive in Madrid at 7:00am Spanish time. Then she was to take a cab to the train station in Madrid to take the AVE, a high speed train, to Sevilla. Before she got on the train she was suppose to call me to tell me when she was suppose to arrive in Sevilla so that I could meet her at the train station here in Seville. Well of course nothing ever goes as planned. I anxiously wake up Saturday morning waiting to hear from my mom at about 8 am. I don't hear anything so I decide to shower, and tell myself not to worry until about 9:30 or 10. Still nothing. So I think okay she must have just been in a rush to catch the train, maybe I should start to really worry until about 12 or 12:30 because it shouldn't take more than that to travel from Madrid to Sevilla between the airport and the Seville train station. Well at 12:30 I go into panic mode and I start freaking out. I am facebook chatting one of my friends here in Seville asking her if I am being unreasonable in being worried. She calms me down (at least a little bit) and says to go to the hotel and if she hasn't checked in then leave my spanish number so that they can call me when/if she does come and I just miss her. Then to just go wait at the train station. I knew something had to happen phone wise either she couldn't find a pay phone or lost my number, so incase she could get to a computer I sent her my spanish number in a e mail. Well I go to the hotel and just as I am about to go up to the desk my dad calls me. I answer and he tells me that mom is waiting a the train station. Well I assume based on the time of day that it has to be the one in Sevilla so I hop on the bus, the ride seemed to take FOREVER. I arrive and tear into the station looking frantically at all the seats then I hear "Katie". There she is just sitting there happy as a calm and I am having a rush of emotions, relief, frustration, upset, happy, and anger. I was still on the phone with my dad he talked to mom and then we hugged. I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. Of course the worst thoughts of where she was or what could have happened had been going through my head for the last hour. So on her side of things that got us into this little drama sess. When she got off the plane her phone was dead, which had my spanish number in it. So she decided to just go ahead and get on the train in Madrid and she would figure out something when she got to Sevilla. Well When she got to Sevilla she didn't even have a plug adapter for the outlet so she couldn't charge her phone, but luckily it is a smart phone so the power cord is also a USB cable and luckily those are all the same in the world. Well when she finally got a charge on her phone the number wasn't even there. So there is a phone store in the train station so she got an international calling card to call my dad so that he could in turn call me. Unnecessary DRAMA. Anyway the night before my host mom had said to go ahead and bring my mom for lunch so by the time we got on the bus and to the hotel we had 30 mins to be there. So we quickly dropped her stuff and walked over to my host mom's. She was also hosting a student that had stayed here last summer and his girlfriend. It was a nice meal. I packed a bag for a couple of nights and we went back to the hotel. It was a nice day but while we were out the sky got cloudy and it began to rain. Before that we headed to the Plaza de Espana, or as my mom would call it the Plaza because she thinks it is the only one, then we walked by the Cathedral and into a soccer shop because my brother wanted a Barcelona soccer jersey and I wanted a soccer jersey but I was torn between Sevilla and Barcelona. I found a Messi jersey for half off and decided to get it, because Sunday we were going to the Sevilla/ Barcelona game. Well we walked back to the hotel taking our time while going down sierpres the shopping street. We stopped at a cafe and had a gamba and alioli montadito which is just a tiny sandwich and gamba is shrimp and alioli is just a yummy sauce. With our sandwich we had a glass of red wine. We made our way home and stopped at Opencor which is just a convience store to get some sandwiches and water for dinner. When we got back to the room we called family on Skype and went to bed.

Sunday March 13
We woke up at about 10 and were out the door by 11. We went and got cafe con leche and tostada with butter and jam at one of my favorite cafes called Kroxan. We then headed down to the cathedral area to see the alcazar, which is another term for like a palace or castle and the place my wedding is going to be. By the time we finished with that we decided there wasn't enough time for the cathedral so we did some shopping and then headed to my host moms for paella. It was delicious as usual and it was kind of funny to see them interact! After lunch we were going to try for a siesta but that was a bust because again we spent all of our time calling family on skype and we had the soccer match at 9pm. Around 8 we took the bus to the stadium and found our seats, we met up with my friends that had also bought tickets, which were 3rd row behind the Sevilla bench PERFECT! The game was amazing couldn't even put it into words we recorded most of it and I am going to make a highlight video and post it on Facebook! I know it is probably the best soccer game I will ever see in my life! Indescribable and also the fastest 90 mins of my life! After the game we decided to walk home knowing that all other modes of transportation would just be crowded. I think it was the highlight of the entire trip. For dinner we stopped again at Opencor and got sandwiches and water! My mom kept asking if I wanted to go out to eat but I said lets save the money for Madrid I am happy with opencor sandwiches and you would be too they are delicious!

Monday March 14
Well luckily my teacher offered for us to have this day off and to make it up in advance and I was glad we did. We woke up and headed to the school to pay for her Madrid trip, we ended up running into my friends mom and I showed them both around the school. My friend got out of class and I was able to introduce my mom to her and some of my other friends! Then we got cafe con leche y tostada at the cafe around the corner from school that I go to sometimes on our breaks. We then headed toward the cathedral and conquered the 34 ramps to the top of the Giralda but the view is amazing and worth every butt-toning step! After the Cathedral we walked down to the river and the tower of gold. Then went on a hunt for a creamer pitcher because my host mom had broken hers the day before at lunch and we thought that would be a nice gift. I had mentioned that it rained ALL weekend and it was suppose to clear up Tuesday but we left Tuesday morning! Anyway after all that we went back to the hotel to switch out some of my winter clothes for the summer clothes my mom had brought. Then we headed to my host mom's to give her the pitcher and pack for Madrid. At 7 we had planned to my friend from earlier and her mom for a glass, which turned out to be glasses, of wine and dinner. After chatting a bit we headed to a restaurant now it was like 8:30 so early for Spaniards and we were the only four people in the restaurant. The food was delicious and we had nice meal and conversation. On the way home we heard trumpets or what sounded like trumpets turned out to be some kind of horn that none of us recognized outside of a church. We stopped and listened for a while still unsure of what they were doing. The next day we asked a professor and she explained they were probably practicing for semana santa or holy week. After arriving at the hotel we decided to hit the bar again for a little more wine. We then went up stairs packed up a bit and went to bed.

Madrid.....Okay so I know this is probably the good part but I am tired and have a quiz tomorrow I will finish the rest of the trip tomorrow.

con todo mi amor,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment