Friday, March 11, 2011

Spring Breakin'

Well I am officially on spring break. We were suppose to have class on Monday but we voted to make up the class in advance so it made for a long day Tuesday. Tuesday we had class from 9-12 and then took a break for lunch and met back up from 2:30-5pm. It will totally be worth it though.

For those of you who don't know my mom is visiting me over the spring break and week in Madrid! She will be here by tomorrow late morning and I will meet her at the train station here in Sevilla. I am super excited and cannot wait to show her the city I have fallen in love with!

Since the last update things have fallen back into a schedule I still love my new teacher and we have had a couple of quizzes. Last Sunday my roommate and I joined our host mom and her sister-in-law for a mini field trip to the art museum here in Sevilla. We woke up had breakfast rode a very, very crowded bus there. It was nice though I finally feel a bit more conversational. My host mom is also very excited that my mom is coming and is having her over Sunday for paella. When we arrived in the general area of the art museum, there were a whole bunch of local artists selling their work on the street. Some of them were extremely talented. We all made our way into the museum. The art was very interesting and our host mom knows a lot about the artists and certain paintings. She even made a joke while we were there, there was this painting of grapes and she said to me "quieres uvas?" do you want grapes? it was so cute! I love our host mom I think we got really lucky based on some other stories we have heard. The joking around is just an example of how far we have come since we first arrived in January. As of 4 days ago we have been here for a full 2 months and have just about 2 more to go. I think it is going to fast unfortunately I am not ready to leave. After Madrid we have Italy at the end of the month and London and Paris in April! I can hardly wait! I know May 10th is going to be here before I know it, I am sure by that time a part of me will be ready to return.

There are some things that I really miss though outside of family and friends like chipotle, my huge full of clothes closet, my hair straightener, and all my make-up. I just don't ever feel complete here and it has been the topic with a lot of girls here. We keep saying don't judge us wait til we get back to Lubbock. I think we are all kind of feeling out of our element and a little incomplete. I mean we have fun when we go out but we might be missing the perfect accessory that we have at home it just didn't fit in the weight limited suitcase we brought. We were roughing it before we even got here. This feeling sky rockets on one of our outside trips where we are limited to just a backpack. I am terrible at over packing because like I have said before I have to be in a certain mood to wear certain clothes and here those feelings really can't matter. I know if you are a boy you probably don't understand but this is just a realization I have come to in the past couple of weeks that I thought I might share to help you understand a day in the life of Katie Hughes Espana!

This week seemed to go by abnormally slow and I am thinking it is because I am so excited for my mom to come. I can't believe it is finally here! It also has been raining all week I thought I liked rainy days but 5 in a row with no sun is pushing it. It is suppose to rain the few days my mom and I spend here in Seville and the whole time we are in Madrid as well. I am hoping the are wrong.

Last weekend a whole bunch of the kids in the program went to Cadiz for Carnaval, which is a huge festival where people dress up in halloween costumes and just drink and party in the streets. A local program here set up for students studying in Sevilla had arranged buses for there and back. Let's see, I am all about having a good time but the bus didn't leave til Saturday night at 9pm and wasn't leaving to come back until 6:00 am Sunday morning. I heard some pretty disgusting things about the trip, I know they all had a good time but I am extremely happy I stayed home.

A whole bunch of my friends also decided to go to the Sevilla v. Barcelona game this Sunday and I thought it would be a great thing for my mom and I to do especially since right now Barcelona is one of the best teams in the world if not of all time! So it is super exciting and I know we are going to enjoy every minute of it. So the tickets we got passed Tuesday, made that day a little brighter despite the rain. Least to say I am glad this week is over and again so excited for my mom to be here tomorrow there is a whole bunch to do here and I can't wait for her to experience it.


I probably won't update this until after the Madrid trip which will be next Sunday. I hope all of you are still doing well! I love and miss you all dearly!

con todo mi amor (with all my love),

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment