Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Past Couple of Days.....

I know I haven't been as good about updating the blog and I just know all of you are anxiously waiting to hear the exciting things that are happening! Well Yesterday was the first day of classes, my roommate and I have class from 9-12pm everyday! Luckily our walk to the TTU center is only about 10-15 min walk from where we live. Some students have a 40 min commute that consists of riding the bus and walking. So we are very lucky.

Yesterday we woke up for class, it was our first morning with our Mama' and we were greeted in the kitchen with a huge smile and hug! In Spain breakfast really isn't a big deal we some far have had just some toast with butter and strawberry jam, a pound-cake like muffin and a banana, with coffee. Now for those of you who know me I am really not a big coffee drinker, well since I have been in Spain I have had it every morning, cafe con leche! It's very good and I look forward to it everyday. After breakfast we were off to school, the first day went by relatively fast and we even got out a little early. Sarah and I have made friends in the upper level Spanish classes and we ended about the same time so we slowly made our way back to our houses because we live very close to each other. On the way home we went in and out of chino shops ( yes, in chino meaning china shops and everything in them is pretty cheap, weirdest thing I have ever seen is a chinese person speaking spanish). Finally we arrived home to our host mom, I swear everything we come into the room it is like getting a standing ovation! haha She just loves us so much already and we feel the same way!

An hour or so later we had lunch it was pretty good but I think the stereo type of no portion control in the States travelled over here and onto our kitchen table. From what I gather our mama' doesn't like leftovers and food is being shoveled onto our plates! Don't get me wrong it is delicious but too much! Lunch is about 2:30-3 here and like I have noted earlier everything closes from 2:30-5 for siesta! I LOVE SIESTA, I am not much of a napper but I fell right to sleep! We took a siesta at about 3 and slept til 5, at about 5 we decided to kind of go explore our relatively new surroundings. The first couple days we travelled as a group to the Cathedral and we walked down the shopping street Sierpes, it was closed when we travelled as a group so Sarah and I wanted to go back. This is where the exploring/getting lost comes in. We attempted to take the bus and when we got off we pretty much immediately started going the wrong direction, luckily in class that day we had gone over how to give/ask for directions in Spanish,  and quickly turned ourselves around, we eventually decided to start at the hotel we had stayed at and worked our way through the windy and unmarked on the map streets about 20 mins later (should have been like 5) we were at the Cathedral and made our way to Siepres and down the street of shops!

About an hour or so later we attempted to go back the way we came, bad idea/impossible, there is no way to remember which way you came and the little road forks very 10 steps. Thinking we had made so progress we ended up having just done a complete circle and ended up back at the Cathedral. My roommate/friend Sarah had actually hurt her foot the day before last and was not willing to let me try and wind our way through again so we took a taxi home. Nobody seems to think getting lost here is a bad thing, it's the way you learn. We made home for dinner at 9 and then went to our rooms. A bunch of kids from school were going out for two of the students birthdays so me and my new friends from school tagged along.

Today was the second day of school, which ended up being similar to the first, a routine has started to develop. The morning was an identical repeat of the first until after class. I had mentioned earlier that my roommate/friend Sarah had hurt her foot, so we went to the doctor here to make sure everything was okay. He seemed to think that it was tendonitis and just really irritated so he recommend she take advil and rest it for a few days. We then went home for lunch and had siesta. Since food here is rich and delicioius and I have been eating more than I usually do my new friends Ann Marie and Carol were going for a walk after siesta I decided to join. We ended up walking/exploring for close to 2 hours, but it was exactly what I needed. When I arrived home I studied and then just ate dinner con solo Pepe our mama' when to church. Pepe asked (in spanish of course) what denomination I was....he began to guess but I didn't know how to say nondenominational in Spanish so it was dropped haha. Well that bring you all to the present time!

Hasta Luego!!!
con amor (with love),

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment