Thursday, January 13, 2011

SPANGLISH

So today started out like the past couple and was pretty much the exact same in the morning. The only thing that really changes is what we do in class. After class we walked back home except this time we stopped at a drug store and got so normal size shampoo and conditioner bottles, soap, and deodorant. I really wanted body wash but everything on the label is in Spanish so I wasn't sure if it was body wash or lotion the only thing I knew for sure what that it was hydrating whatever it was. So I decided I couldn't go wrong with bars of soap! I think the biggest problem I have now is the fact that I know how to ask how much does it cost but I don't understand what they say because they just spit it out at 90mph! Like today after siesta I went walking around with some friends and they had had a bad lunch so they wanted to get something to eat. We stopped at this little cafe and I was full but I decided to get cafe' con leche and a bottle of water. I didn't understand how much she said and so I just stood there with this blank look on my face. The man next to me helped me count out the amount and handed it to the waitress, embarrassing and I still don't know how much it was.

Walking around here is kind of a skill in itself. The one thing you have to watch out for is dog poop, yes you read this right, Sevilla is kind of a concrete jungle, so when they walk their dogs here they just go on the sidewalk. They don't pick up after them either, so the first couple of days I was constantly looking at the sidewalk making sure I didn't step in any, which backfired in the end because I wasn't looking at my surroundings and never really grasped a sense of location. There are also bike lanes along every street and apparently, according to the director of the program here, if you get hit by a biker on one of the bike lanes you can be fined like 90 euros! Even if they hit you because if you are on there forget it, apparently it is your fault. When walking on the street, you can't walk like more than 10 steps without getting a honk or a bell ring on a bike from some Spanish creeper! Idk by now we just ignore it haha.

Well we had been communicating well with our mama' until last night I was brushing my teeth and (in Spanish of course) she explained that she sings in the choir at her church and she had just gotten home from a practice for their concert on the 30th of January in the morning. I understood it except for when it was for some reason I thought she said the 13th meaning today and when she said manana I thought it was tomorrow not the morning! So today at lunch I was asking about it and she was like what, and then explained that it was the 30th of January not the 13th I was really embarrassed but it was okay! That is how you learn, and I did tell her that we wanted to go! She was happy!

I titled this post Spanglish because I feel like I am caught between two languages, lately when I have been typing this blog or writing an e mail I am thinking in Spanish. So I have translate it back to english and I have been dreaming in Spanish. I am also having trouble talking in either and I sound stupid because regardless of the language I am responding in it is delayed and it appears I don't know either language. Aside from that I am communicating just fine? haha well it is about for today, I am not sure if we are going to try and go out tonight or not, we ended up not going anywhere last night. I hope all is well with all of you! I love and miss you all!

con amor,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment