Monday, January 10, 2011

Yo tengo nueva familia!

Hola Todos!

I was picked up this morning by my new house mother and I quickly caught on to the whole kissing on both cheeks thing! She is a very sweet older women (which most host families are in the program) who has 2 children who are grown and married and she has 5 grandchildren. She and I guess one of her good friends who lives literally across the hall in the apartment building came to pick up my roommate and I as well as two more girls. She was so happy to see us as were we to see her because before we had been waiting like puppies in a pet store to see who would be our new "mama" for the semester! We were pleasantly surprised she was very excited and kept saying "O mis ninas! perfecto!"  We walked out of the hotel (with ALL of our luggage) and made our way to the bus stop. Now in Spain if you are waiting at a bus stop you have to flag it down like a taxi in NY they don't just stop because people are sitting there and you only enter the front entrance the back two are for getting off. We loaded ourselves on to the already crowded bus! Once we came to our stop we clumsily made it off the bus and headed onto our new home. I crammed into a supposedly 4 person elevator with just myself and 3 suitcase (2 or which were mine) and headed up to the 6th floor.

After being shuffled in by our new mama she showed us to our room, communication is there just very simple! When we walked in we met Pepe (not really sure the role he plays because she explained it but we didn't quite understand). She allowed us to unpack and then showed us the rest of the house which is small but is really all you need and super cozy I fell in love with it immediately as well as her! See asked about us and we responded the best we could with I am sure the most horrible grammar she has ever heard but we all managed! While we were unpacking she brought us a snack. At about 3 we had lunch and by 3:30 we were out the door to explore a little bit of the new area of Sevilla we are now it. I was just getting to know the area around the hotel right before we came here, figures. We met some of our new friends at the school which ended up being simpler to find than what we had anticipated because here the streets are not straight if there is a street sign it is on a building and then there are all these narrow one way allies which you can really get lost in. Fortunately it is a straight shot from our house to the school and only about a 15 min walk!

When we met our friends we finally went to go get cell phone but of course from the hours of 2:30-5 everything is closed for Siesta which means we had to wait around for the phone place to open. I had forgotten my passport which is something you need to get a cell phone here, so luckily my forgetfulness killed some time. After the phones the 4 of us went walking in the opposite direction of the school to explore the area we haven't been before, well we only discovered a local pizza place and the first gas station we have seen since we have been in Spain.

We parted ways at about 8 pm and headed back to the house because dinner was in an hour. Yeah 9 pm a little late if you ask me but it has been worth it so far! Everything has been super tasty the only thing I have not really been a fan of was the shrimp that o no big deal, still had the HEAD ON IT!!! haha We had to cut it off and take the shell off with a knife and fork still not sure how that is suppose to work but o well! But our mama has not made shrimp for us yet!

Tomorrow will be the first day of school and we will start about 9 am and go til about 12pm! I am really excited because I have already fallen in love with the language, high school spanish was a joke and I am really ready to learn spanish. I have remembered a lot more than I thought I was going to and seem to communicate with my mama pretty well! I have learned so much and was even watching the news here understanding very little even with my spanish-english dictionary by my side and I keep translating into spanish while I type this! That is probably a sign that I need to wrap this up!

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment